The big draw for the Super Bowl each year is the commercials. Companies paid up to $3 million just for 30 seconds of airtime. For most, the money was well spent. For others, well, I may never eat another Dorito again. Here’s a look at the best!
1. Even though he claimed in his Brisk ad that he didn’t do commercials, Eminem certainly won the night for most memorable and emotional ads. He shilled tea in claymation, but went back to his hometown of Detroit for Chrysler. “Imported From Detroit” was well executed and thoughtful, and it actually made me proud of my little PT Cruiser.
2. It wouldn’t be the Super Bowl without Budweiser. They had a number of ads this year, including one for Bud Light that featured dogs serving drinks, the best was “Wild West” that featured actor Peter Stormare bursting into song after a Bud.
3. This one hit the net before it’s official debut and has since gone viral. Volkswagen gave us a little kid desperate to use “The Force.” The little Darth Vader, Max Page, even did an interview with Matt Lauer and Meredith Vieira this morning on The Today Show.
4. E*Trade got a new baby, and two new ads. One featured him and his cat, the other with his tailor. I wonder how his little milkaholic strawberry-blonde friend is doing.
5. He was everywhere this past week, so of course he would show up in his own SB commercial. Justin Bieber appeared in an ad for Best Buy‘s new trade in service. Ozzy Osbourne reminded us that he still exists, and that old guy looked familiar too.
6. The NFL itself turned out one of the better ads of the nights. The commercial featured beloved sitcoms and cartoons such as The Simpsons and Happy Days characters sporting their home team jerseys at their own Super Bowl parties.
7. The movies! We got to see teasers for Pirates of The Caribbean:On Stranger Tides, Captain America, Thor, Super 8 and Cowboys and Aliens. It’s going to be a crowded summer but I can’t wait.
Special shout out to the House promo. Nice that FOX realized that it has other hit shows besides Glee.