I’ve always thought Mariah Carey, at the least the Mimi we all know and love today, was a bit ridiculous. But, in a really fun way. That’s why I choose to think the new title of her much-delayed new album is a big joke, and not a sign that Mrs. Cannon has been sipping on too much champagne.
Originally titled ‘The Art of Letting Go,’ Carey revealed to Billboard that the new title is ‘Me. I Am Mariah… The Elusive Chanteuse.’ If your reaction was the same as mine, then it was a big “HUH?” At least it’s not “Cotton Candy,” or “Charmbracelet 2: He Went To Jared!” It does seems awfully similar to the the name of Beyonce‘s third studio album, ‘I Am… Sasha Fierce,’ released in 2008. Carey actually told Billboard in her recent cover story that she was going to take another cue from Bey by doing a surprise digital release, but thought it would be better if she announced details about it herself. Knowing that we would all think she had finally lost it, Mimi explains in a video that the inspiration for the name of the album came from a self portrait she drew when she three and half years old.
The album features collaborations with Nas, Fabolous and Miguel on the single “#Beautiul.” Jermaine Dupri, of course, Rodney Jerkins and Hit-Boy serve as producers. There is even an appearance from Dembabies, her twins Mr. Moroccan Scott and Ms. Monroe Cannon a.k.a. Roc n Roe a.k.a. Mariah you are doing too damn much! We will finally be able to hear the album on Tuesday May 27. The deluxe version will feature three additional tracks and you can pre-order it on iTunes now. Here’s the tracklisting:
3. Dedicated (feat. Nas)
4. #Beautiful (feat. Miguel)
6. Make It Look Good
7. You’re Mine (Eternal)
8. You Don’t Know What To Do (feat. Wale)
9. Supernatural (With Special Guest Stars “Dembabies” a.k.a. Ms. Monroe & Mr. Moroccan Scott Cannon a.k.a. Roc ‘N Roe)
12. Money ($ * / …) (feat. Fabolous)
13. One More Try
14. Heavenly (No Ways Tired/Can’t Give Up Now)
15. It’s a Wrap (feat. Mary J. Blige) [Deluxe edition]
16. Betcha Gon’ Know (feat. R. Kelly) [Deluxe edition]
17. The Art of Letting Go [Deluxe edition]
18. Me. I Am Mariah…The Elusive Chanteuse